Maple Cinnamon Apple Chicken Sausage and Wild Rice Risotto
Maple Cinnamon Apple Chicken Sausage on Wild Rice Risotto with Mushrooms and Roasted Peaches.
Replace the Risotto with scrambled eggs for an incredible breakfast skillet.
- 2 CHEF’S CRAFT™ Maple Cinnamon Apple Chicken Sausage links
- 1 Peach, fresh, ripe, cut in half, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 cup Baby Portobello mushrooms/ shiitake mushroom blend, sliced medium thick
- Salt- to taste
- Black pepper- to taste
- 2-3 Fresh thyme sprigs
- For Wild Rice Risotto: 1 cup wild rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced fine
- 1/2 cup celery, diced fine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, fresh chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium or fresh kitchen stock
- 1 cup Arboiro rice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 3 tablespoons butter , unsalted , diced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup chives, fresh or green onion- tops only, chopped fine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For risotto: Wash wild rice carefully and drain.
In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil .When the oil is hot add the onions and celery and sauté until soft. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and add the wild rice and the thyme and oregano. Simmer 25 to 30 minutes stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add the white wine and cover. Simmer another 20 minutes until most of the wine is absorbed. Reserve for recipes next step.
In a large sauté skillet add the additional 3 cups chicken broth and the Arborio rice, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Simmer, stirring frequently, 20 minutes or until Arborio rice is just tender but still firm to bite.
Remove from the heat add the wild rice mixture from above to the large skillet. Stir to combine. Place back on stove and heat until the rice mixture is heated through.
Remove from heat. Stir in the butter, lemon zest and chives. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper. This rice may be held for no more than 20 minutes.
For sausage and peaches: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place 2 peach halves on a sheet pan, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with mascarpone cheese. Bake 15 minutes. Reserve for plating.
In a medium skillet, melt the butter, add the mushrooms, sauté until mushrooms are tender. Reduce the heat to low. Add sausage. Bring the sausage up to temperature. Reserve for plating.
Plate sausage atop the bed of the risotto, garnished with mushrooms, peaches, and thyme sprigs.